Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The First of Many

So, I've got a blog now.  Petty, I know, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.  But the real question isn't why I'm blogging, but rather what I'm going to blog about.  Dungeons and Dragons?  Judo?  PC gaymens?  Can't say for sure just yet.  I'm not going to limit myself to one subject, that's for sure.  I suppose that initially, I'll just tell funny stories.  Or post up zombie survival tips, pen and paper rpg designs, or character builds for dungeons and dragons.  Maybe I'll throw in a movie/game review in as well.  But since I can't really think of anything to write about at the moment, I'll just post up something random.

Here's a thought:
In Gundam, they had Minovsky particles.  These plot-driven radioactive tidbits fueled everything in that series.  Made ICBMs useless, blocked long range communications, created sensor interference, so on and so forth.  Basically, if it dealt with electronic warfare, Minovsky particles did it.  With that being said, those particles must have been a bitch to deal with from a tactical standpoint.  Technology is always sprinting forward, and very rarely does it ever stop to look back.  But those M-particles force just that.  If I were a military tactician, I'd be shitting brix at the loss of long ranged electronics.  I'd probably lose wifi as well.  Ponder that for a moment.  Would you rather have a single Gundam or an ICBM, a satellite phone, and the internet?

Obviously, the creators of Gundam ask too much from us.  Not only that, they don't deal with the problems that are put forth by Minovsky particles that well either.  What the hell is infantry supposed to do without satellites?  Because you can be damn sure that the Principality of Zeon blew all the satellites out of the sky.  If I were an invading space force, that would definitely be the first thing on my itinerary.  Of course, that would also be followed by the destruction of all known space ports and constant, unrelenting orbital bombardment, but that's another story for another time.  So what the hell is infantry supposed to do in the urban and jungle combat that so often occurred in Gundam?  Die, most likely.  But let's be a little more optimistic here.  Let's assume that information sent short range is still uninterrupted by these M-particles.  Obviously, remote drones would be your best bet for battlefield awareness.  Or you could send out a suicide scout, but I don't really see any volunteers willing to run in a giant robot's line of fire.

Is it just me, or does that look like two crazy tadpoles making out?
That brings me to a random idea I had a while back that I've been told is remarkably similar to something found in the newest Mech Warrior game.  Imagine this: A 40mm grenade that holds within it a lightweight camera and transmission device.  After being fired, the casing would pop open and blades would burst out from the body of the drone and allow it to spin slowly towards the ground.  This designed would be extremely similar to a sycamore seed.  The drone would take some footage, send it back to the commander and display it via headset(I'm assuming these guys are landwarrior status), and BAM, you've got battlefield awareness.  Simple, easy, and I don't know why the guys at Bandai didn't think of it first.  They should hire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment